In Episode 10, I discuss what I wish knew before launching Dear Creators. Here are a few things to consider as you set out on your podcasting journey:
* = Bonus notes that weren't mentioned in the episode
1) How much time it takes to edit an episode
- Creating a podcasting system
- Outsourcing post-production tasks
2) The importance of practicing before you launch
- Recording test episodes & warming up
- Being okay with doing all the talking (solo episodes can be challenging for non-talkative people)*
3) Choosing a theme or topic that you care about
4) Pre-production considerations
- Preparing an outline
- Scheduling guests*
5) Expecting the unexpected
- Modifying your content
- Going with the flow
6) Presentation of show notes
- Sneak peek?
7) The style and format
- Deciding on the general structure of each episode
- Choosing to leave room for flexibility
8) Having at least 2-3 episodes ready before your launch date*
Obviously, you'll need to choose a mic, theme music, hosting, and other podcasting basics, but what's equally, if not more important is remembering the work that goes into running a podcast.
If you've already launched a podcast, let me know what you wish you'd known before creating your show! I'd love to hear about your podcasting experience.